Sunday, March 23, 2014

A Very Nice Day

On March 1st, 2014, I had a very nice day.  I woke up and did everything I like to think I do daily—stretched, exercised, made my bed, etc.  I went for a walk, under threat of rain that never came.  I ate lunch at the neighbor’s, where my host mom was making bread. Lunch was a cold potato soup of delicious proportions.  I watched my host mom and neighbor cut and shape the bread dough into the traditional shapes.  I asked if I could help and was told I could.  I decorated the dough with the first letters of the family’s names, braided dough challah-style, made a cat face, and utterly wowed with my quick picking-up of biscocho decorating. As the bread went into the oven I talked to my lovely sister Laurel for an hour or so, about things that I wish I could talk to her about every day.

It was a very nice day. 

And we’re still eating the bread.

Enjoy some photos of snow-covered mountains and various other loveliness.


Besos!


Sunsets are rare in site (what with all those mountains blocking my view) but one night after staying late at the health post, I managed to see one


Kassel can wash her clothes by hand!


Building the oven.  Coming soon--bread in the backyard!


Flowers in front of the health post


Snow-covered peaks after a persistent night of pouring rain.  My host mom said that she had never seen those peaks so covered--prompting a fun climate change conversation.


Nicoll, Melly, and Lesslye as we waited for Carnaval to start


Making s'mores with Lesslye, Angel (a neighbor), Nicoll, and Melly


Nicoll lost her two front teeth and it is utterly wasted there are so few "sh" words in Spanish

No comments:

Post a Comment