Saturday, March 15, 2014

Interviews (Feb. 20th, 2014)

As I near having lived in Huantar for three months (!) I’ve begun the series of interviews I will use to provide the data for my community diagnostic.*  Being a health volunteer, I ask health-related questions: Do you wash your hands? Does your bathroom smell (first, do you have a bathroom)? Does your child’s anus itch? You can see how there’s room for awkwardness.

During my first interviews I probably asked about half of the questions.  I just did not feel comfortable asking them all.  By interview six though I had lost all verguenza.  That’s right, I want to see that hot water container, I’m not taking your word for it that you have one.  You say your child has all their vaccinations?  Show me their tarjeta de CRED.  SHOW ME THE BATHROOM. In other words, I meant business.

That said, while I did direct the flow of the interview/conversation, I let the mothers I was interviewing say all they had to say on the subject.  My comprehension was probably at about 70%, but my listening ears were on 100%.  One of the women I interviewed was a talker.  We had a ten-minute conversation about how she was willing to raise her husband’s daughter from another woman.  Eventually we got into the meat of the interview.  Every question brought a backstory.  When we got to the questions about breast-feeding, the dams broke.  I don’t know if it was because she knew that she had the attention of someone who didn’t interrupt, or if it wouldn’t happened whether I was there or not, but after telling me about her inability to breastfeed her second child, she burst into tears, letting out all her life’s woes. 

I won’t go into the individual details; suffice it to say that she is poor, she thinks everyone in Huantar hates her because she’s from a different town originally (I think was more of a heat of the moment thing cause she seemed to be happily hanging out with people during Carnaval), and there are days when she feels like throwing herself in the river.

Woof.

The health post worker I was with, kept mouthing, “We should leave.”  So that was helpful.  In the end, I gave her a hug, said that I was here in Huantar to try to help (though I’m not sure how much attending talks about childhood nutrition will help her), and that we would talk later.

One of the things that I, and most other volunteers, are confronted with is both the vast disparities between our own circumstances and the circumstances of those we live with, as well as the limitations to what we reasonably expect of ourselves.  How to walk the line between insensitivity and taking care of yourself, between greed and generosity. 

None of my interviews since have been so exciting, or so exhausting.  I’ll admit I’m thankful for that. And hopefully, when I leave Huantar in 21 months or so, I’ll feel good about the line I walked.

March 10th update: I greeted someone in the street today and she started to tear up after I asked her name (she’s recently a widow, I think I gathered).  Maybe I just have one of those faces.



* Community Diagnostic—a summary of the state of your site.  I believe it’s intended as a means for volunteers to prove that they are needed in their community but it ends up being more like bureaucratic bullshit.**


**Very worthwhile, necessary, and well-thought out bureaucratic bullshit, she quickly amended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment