Saturday, November 2, 2013

Quechua

Kasselmi shutii ¿Qampaqa?

Allow me to translate.  My name is Kassel.  And yours is?

Since I'll be living and working in Ancash for the next two years, I am now taking Quechua classes.
Everyone who speaks Spanish is under the impression that English speakers have a super easy time with Quechua because in Quechua the adjective comes before the noun.  Yes, it turns out that the placement of adjectives is what really trips people up when learning new languages.

So get ready all my English-speaking readers for the easiest language lesson you've ever had!

Pronunciation guide:

  • q is said in the throat, like how ch is pronounced in Hebrew
  • ee is not a hard e, it is like "eh" (but only in Anchash Quechua, its different for Huancavelican Quechua and Cusco Quechua)
  • j is like h
  • oo is a hard o, like Cho in Cho Chang, not like choo-choo train


1 [one] = juk
2 [two] = ishkee
3 [three] = kima
4 [four] = chusku
5 [five] = pitsqa
6 [six] = joqta
7 [seven] = qanchis
8 [eight] = puaq
9 [nine] = isqon
10 [ten] = chunka

¿Imanootaq keekanki?
   --How are you?
Allim Keekaa. ¿Qamqa yameellaku keekanki?
   --I'm good. And how are you?
Aumi, noqapis yameellam keekaa
   --Yes, I am also good.

Easy-peasy.  As a reward for such diligent studying here is a picture of me, dressed as a tree for Halloween with my host mom.  Not to brag but my costume literally caused schoolchildren to come to a jaw-dropping standstill on the street.  It was like they'd never seen a gringa dressed as a tree walking down the street at eight in the morning.



Eewallee Kamakoq yayawan
   --Go with God the creator

No comments:

Post a Comment