Sunday, October 27, 2013

I'M GOING TO ANCASH

Those of you who read my last post may have noticed that I was leaning towards a certain department.  One where the mountains are snow-covered, the commute to Lima is manageable, the people speak Quechua, and the regional capital of Huaraz has a restaurant that serves waffles all day.

Well you may have guessed it, though you might not believe it (I know I barely can)--BUT I'M GOING TO ANCASH!!!

Let's take a brief moment to bask in the photos of Ancash, shall we?






And back to the present.

Specifically to the community of Huantar, district of Huantar, province of Huari.  It doesn't show up on Google maps, but it's north of the community of Chavin de Huantar, a town that is home to ruins dating back to 1200 BC.  Ruins so old and well-preserved and all-around awesome that they have been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

I will be the third volunteer in the community, which means that I will most likely be the last volunteer in the community.  I'll be starting up new projects of my own, but also working to finalize and make sustainable any of the projects begun by previous volunteers.  I will also be learning Quechua!

I'll have a sitemate half an hour away to the south in Chavin de Huantar who I have not yet met, and there will be three other volunteers from my group of Peace Corps Peru 22 to the north.  Two Mac-ers (Environment) near the town of Hauri and another health volunteer.  We will be rocking the east side of the Cordillera Blanca.  There are a bunch more volunteers located on the west side of the mountain range.

I really cannot explain how excited I am.  The morning of site assignments I had an enormous grin on my face--I couldn't have stopped smiling if I had tried.  I have some serious luck.  A backload of karma.  A guardian angel.  Something because I feel as though my dreams are coming true.

And apparently there's a competition among the Peace Corps Ancashinos to see who can skinnydip in the most glacial lakes. Bring it.

Besos. 

No comments:

Post a Comment