Saturday, February 15, 2014

Kassel Actually is an English Teacher

Well folks, it’s official.  Six times a week, for an hour each go around, I am an English teacher.  So far I have taught:
  • ·         Greetings
  • ·         Conversation
  • ·         Animals
  • ·         Numbers
  • ·         Colors
  • ·         Days of the Week
  • ·         Body Parts
  • ·         Family Members
  • ·         Months of the Year


Classes usually go along these lines:
1)      I write the words and their Spanish translations on the board.
2)      One by one we go through and pronounce them. First as a group, then individually.  Sometimes this is utterly hilarious, but I hold in my laughter for the kids’ sake.
3)      I desperately think up games that remotely involve English so as to keep their attention.

Look at all the lovely pictures of children happily learning:






Things usually go smooth as silk, as if I truly knew what I was doing.  But there have the occasional…incidents, some of which I would oh so love to share with you.

1)      Do you remember how to play Red Light Green Light?  It goes like this: One person, at one end of the field, blacktop, street, whathaveyou, yells “Green Light” and turns their back.  While their back is turned, the rest of the kids run towards them until the first kids\ turns around again, yelling “Red Light,” at which point the kids have to stop.  IF they are seen moving by the Light-person they have to return to the beginning.  We play this game A LOT in my class, substituting “Red Light” and “Green Light” for whatever English words we’ve learned that day.  Usually I hang near the back playing referee, but one day, when an especially fickle, picky, and otherwise unfair child was in charge of yelling the words out, I decided to go for it.  I’d run, I’d win, and we’d get a new kid in ASAP.  I began to run straight ahead, ignoring the inevitable mud splash from the puddle ahead of me.  After all, this was for the kids.  Lo and behold, there was no mud splash.  There was me, slipping in the mud and landing flat on my ass.  I stood up, as the kids looked on unsure of what to do.  I was very much covered in mud, very much blushing, and very much wanting to rewind to three seconds ago and just let Mister Picky and Unfair be as Picky and Unfair as he wanted to be.   Instead I had to walk one of my youngest students back to the health post where her mom worked and show off my mud-covered butt to everyone in the town square.

2)      As you know, Quechua is the first language of the majority of the people in my town.  Which means that when the teenage boys in my high school want to be little shits they say vulgar things in Quechua.  Now, I may not be able to understand much in Quechua, but rani, aka penis, is now one of the words I recognize most easily.  Also, making the OK sign here in Perú means something VERY different.   They learn English, I learn when to be offended.

3)      After a month of playing Red Light, Green Light I decided to shake things up.  I introduced a game, normally used as an icebreaker, where someone, standing in the middle of a circle, says a word in English.  Once it’s said, everyone has to stand up from their chairs and find a new one to sit in.  The person without a seat then has to say the Spanish definition and a new English word, and so and so forth.  It was going splendidly until a girl’s nose collided with a boy’s head.  Head was fine, nose not so much.  The blood poured from it.  I was cupping my hands beneath her nose trying, unsuccessfully, to stop the blood from getting on her coat.  As I try to calmly get her to where my toilet paper is stashed, the rest of the kids kept playing without any encouragement.  They were un-con-cerned. We finally get to the classroom and with my blood-covered hands I unzip my backpack and pull out the TP.  The bloodstains may one day get out of my backpack:




[I thought about asking her to pose for a picture but it seemed a little inappropriate]

Standing outside the classroom I have to keep telling her to hold her head back because she wanted nothing more than to lean forward and create a small lake of her blood on the cement. 
So watch out guys, English can kill you (or maybe it’s just when I teach it…)



Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment