Saturday, February 15, 2014

Kassel Decides to be an English Teacher. Otherwise known as Adventures in Miscommunication, the Importance of Following Through, and How to Take a Chill Pill.

The Peace Corps encourages us to participate in “Vacaciones Utiles,” a Peruvian program that translates to “Useful Vacations.”  Everyone in my town thought that me teaching English during this time was a FABULOUS idea, so I did my due diligence.  I submitted official solicitudes to the municipality, the head of Social Programs, and to the Director of the high school, whose classroom I hoped to use.  One by one they were all approved.  I managed to get a set of keys to the high school the day before New Year’s, and I set out to celebrate knowing that I was well set to start planning my classes and preparing my classroom after the 2nd.

Wrong.

Those keys I mentioned?  Not for the front gate to the high school.  The only key I need in fact, is to the front gate, and yet that is the one key that I do not have.  Does the principal answer his cell phone when I call to ask for his help?  No.  No he does not.  As I walk back to my house, feeling slightly lost and bewildered, I run into Señor Feliciano, the gatekeeper to the high school during the regular school year.  I show him the keys and he tells me that they are for the auditorium.  Oh, well, if I ever get into the front gate it turns out I can open the auditorium.  Woop-de-Doo.  He walks off and I arrive at home where I promptly complain to my host mother.  Oh, she says, Señor Feliciano should have a key to the front gate, he looks after the school.  Is she talking about the same Señor Feliciano that I talked to just moments ago? Yes, yes she is. Oh, but that place he was walking off to?  According to his wife, that place is his chakra, no she’s not sure when he’ll be back.  Alrighty then, I will be visiting your house tomorrow morning.  P.S. Tomorrow morning is the 5th, and I’ve already announced over the town loudspeaker that classes will be starting in the high school on the 6th.  F me.

Enter tomorrow morning—I go to Señor Feliciano’s house, where lo and behold, he is not at.  He has gone to the chakra (always, always the damn chakra), because it rained last night for the first time in over a week and everyone is super excited and visiting their chakras. Great.  Guess I’ll come back at dinnertime and hope this somehow works out.

I head back to my room to start planning my English classes.  Do I know where I will be teaching?  Nope.  Do I know how many kids will be coming? Nope, because I totally glossed over the whole “sign-up” part of summer classes.  Cool.  I can definitely make learning how to say “My name is…” last for an hour.  As I am busy pitying myself, (which turns into anger-pitying because are my problems really that terrible? No, they’re not.) someone starts to bang at the front gate.  I usually ignore door-banging, but at one point I swear I hear English words.  ENGLISH?!?! Maybe it is for me.  I’m like a puppy scrambling for the door. 

The guy at the door is definitely not speaking English and leaves as soon as I explain that none of my family is home at the moment.  As he turns away, who do I see walking by but Señor Feliciano! Never have I been gladder to open my door.  I rush out and explain my dilemma.  Is there any way he can lend me his key?
--Ah, gringa, estoy en vacaciones, no estoy trabajando.  Trans: Oh, white girl, I’m on vacation, I’m not working. 
Oh, I say as my heart sinks. 
--Pero, la Señora Elena está trabajando en la biblioteca cada día de las ocho hasta el uno.  Trans: But, Mrs. Elena is working in the library everyday from eight to one.  
Every day you say? As in today?
--No, gringa, hoy es domingo.  Pero mañana a las ocho ella va estar.  Cada día el portón está abierto. Trans: No, white girl, today is Sunday.  But tomorrow at eight she will be there.  The gate is open every day.
So I can get inside the high school at eight o’clock tomorrow morning, a half hour before my class is supposed to start in order to clean and organize the classroom?  Well, Señor, that is technically better than nothing. 

So here I am, waiting for Monday (aka tomorrow) to come.  I’ve set up a possible back-up plan with the health post, where, if the high school doesn’t pan out, I can use the second story of the health post.  There are no chairs, tables, or chalk/whiteboards in this space.  But given that the rain has decided to return, I will settle for a roof.  I’m slightly kicking myself for not pushing Señor Feliciano a little harder on the lending me his key question.  Because while he may be on vacation, does that mean his key is too?  If he’s on vacation doesn’t that just mean that he has no need for the key?  All these points I could have brought up.  Damn you Spanish for slowing my brain down. 

But while by my standards this feels ridiculous and frustrating, the truth is, everything is probably going to work itself out.  And if it doesn’t, well, I think we’ll all live. 

And yes, by writing this, I am procrastinating from planning my classes that start, oh right, tomorrow.

Besos!


(Update: It all worked out.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment