Thursday, April 10, 2014

Carnaval

I danced, I got floured, I got soaked, I got painted (raincoat still has the blue to prove it), and I had a blast. 

Nicoll, Melly, and Lesslye waiting for the first night of activities to start


The Ayash bears and drag dancers make their appearance.  Ayash and Ishok are the two neighborhoods in town and they compete every year to see who has the most (and best) turnout.  In case you're wondering, I live in neither.  I've smack dab in the middle. 


Lesslye splattered with paint.  A similar fate will befall me in four days time.


BABY BEAR! It was well-agreed to be the cutest things in all Carnavals past and present.


Driving into town only to be stopped by the massive yunsa drive blocking all traffic.  Don't believe I will ever again use the word traffic to describe the ten cars passing through Huantar. 


Though you can't quite tell from the photo, I am soaking wet and very cold.  The morning, while the sun was out, was when Ayash was dancing through the plaza and town.  Got me some morning beer.


The afternoon of Ishok dancers getting floured instead of soaked.


Me post-flouring by one of the health post techs.  Pretty sure its chicha, not beer I'm holding.


The Ishok yunsa tree.  Throughout the day, dancers take an axe to it.  Once it falls, people take all of the presents hung in its branches.  However, if you are the one to strike the final blow, you have to pay for next year's tree.  So I did not touch the axe.
Also, will I was dancing I was repeatedly floured by some of the drunker members of the community, one of whom accidentally pulled by earring out of my ear, which subsequently was stepped upon and broken.  He, not two weeks later, killed himself by consuming poison.  Other memorable interactions with him include the time he drunkenly mistook me for the priest, asked for a door, and when corrected, insisted upon giving me two eggs, kissing my hand, and telling me that mamacita was a term of respect. Moment of silence please. 


Requisite selfie.  In about five days after I shower I will have bread dough caked into my hair and scalp.


Last day of festivities.  The children of Ishok start us out.


The lovely "ladies" of Ishok.  Quite a few of thsoe boys were in my English classes.  


Taking a break from being a menacing paint-throwing bear.


Dancing through the night


Ayash and Ishok groups meet in the plaza.  Apparently every year a brawl breaks out.  I missed the brawl, but was told Ishok won.



Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment