Thursday, April 10, 2014

There's a New Cat in Town

This is the new kitten:



I have decided to love it and so I pick it up and pet it and discreetly feed it scraps from the table.

Her (we’re fairly certain it’s a girl) name is:

1.      Matilda (if you ask Nicoll), named after Matilda from the movie Matilda based on the Roald Dahl novel of the same name.  I’m 90% on board with this name (Matilda after all is one of the most voracious readers in literature), but drag my feet because of…
2.      Berlioz (if you ask either me or Lesslye), named after the black kitten in The Aristocats, who in turn was named after the composer.  Nicoll fights this because technically it’s a boy’s name; not that anyone else here in Huantar knows it.
3.      Pelusa, which translates more or less to “Shedder” and which was the name of the last cat and tends to slip out and then kind of stick for an hour or so.

Matilda/Berlioz/Pelusa is the pickiest eater known to catdom and has a rather unique ability to ignore my host mother’s shouts.  But as long as she keeps from eating the baby guinea pigs I think she has a fair chance of making it to middle-age.  Let’s all keep our fingers crossed.


Besos!

No comments:

Post a Comment